BERRY, BANANA AND BEETROOT SMOOTHIE!

bananas, beetroot, berries, black currants, blackberries, protein shakes, raspberries, red currants, smoothies, summer berries, breakfast, sugar free,

BREAKFAST - NEVER SKIP IT!

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, my mother would always yell at the top of her voice as I would charge off out the door, running late for the train, after I had just gulped down a hot cup of strong, black coffee. Yes, yes I know I will get something on the way to work! 

As a young teenager with loads of energy, I didn't have time to sit and eat breakfast at home, I preferred to commute to work and en route to the office grab a toasted sandwich and a sweet bun to eat at my desk prior to starting work, it just seemed to be more enjoyable and it was also time to catch up with the typing pool girls and gossip before we hammered out the daily workload on our Remington typewriters. Yes, it was the late 60's early 70's! Times were marvellous!


DIET WAS NOT IN MY VOCABULARY

I was young, active, played sports (netball) and ate whatever I wanted. Never had puberty acne or any greasy skin or hair and absolutely loved food. I am sure my Polish roots instilled the love of good food, loads of home-cooked meals, loads of vegetables and fruits were eaten seasonally out of granddad's and grandma's back garden, all this allowed us the luxury of eating good wholesome meals.

Those were the days, everything was fresh, freshly made, no preservatives, no colourings, no additives, no ready meals in sight. Basically, meals were all about sow it, grow it, pick it, wash it, eat it OR cook it, eat it. SIMPLE FAIRE!

bananas, beetroot, berries, black currants, blackberries, protein shakes, raspberries, red currants, smoothies, summer berries, breakfast, sugar free,

TODAY IT'S ALL ABOUT HEALTH AND DIET

It is a long time since my relaxed eating habits of a teenage girl and as I have aged my body has beckoned me to be mindful of my ageing eating habits, so things have changed. I still love food, and I still love to indulge just not as often or as haphazardly as in my younger days where the body would always manage to cope with any abuse. Not so forgiving today, and the apple cider vinegar has become the remedy for all digestive upsets.

HEALTHIER EATING IN AGING

Today my husband and I are even more focused on choosing how we prepare our meals, what we eat, when and how much! The metabolism has definitely slowed down with age so no heavy meals in the evening for us. Luckily my husband, who is of larger stature than I is happy to share in the selection of meals I/we decide to cook, prepare and eat. 

bananas, beetroot, berries, black currants, blackberries, protein shakes, raspberries, red currants, smoothies, summer berries, breakfast, sugar free,

BREAKFAST PROTEIN SMOOTHIE

The easiest and most satisfying breakfast for both of us is this concoction of berries and rice protein, no hassles, no deciding what do you feel like for breakfast, best of all no cooking, and minimal fuss and the result is a filling smoothie which lasts a good 4-5hrs. Are you ready for the recipe? Let's get shaking!

INGREDIENTS - makes 2 smoothies

165g frozen summer berries (raspberries, blackberries, red and black currants)
1 ripe large banana
4-6 heaped tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
1 scoop Rice Protein powder (per person)
1 heaped tsp psyllium husk powder
2 heaped tsp beetroot powder
1 teaspoon Vit C (ascorbic acid) equivalent 1000mg 
4 tbsp freshly ground flax seeds
2 tbsp organic cold pressed flaxseed oil
add filtered water to make up to 1 litre

METHOD

Add all the ingredients in order into a 1-litre jug, blend well with your hand-held blender. Divide the mixture between two large tall glasses and drink slowly, holding in your mouth to allow digestive juices to mix with the shake before swallowing. 

You can take your morning vitamins along with this smoothie, and any other medication you normally need to take with meals.

SMACZNEGO!

bananas, beetroot, berries, black currants, blackberries, protein shakes, raspberries, red currants, smoothies, summer berries, breakfast, sugar free,








Comments

Rough Puff Pastry

POPULAR POSTS